Search results



Book One World War Three 1946

Book One World War Three 1946
New Book Covers

Monday, October 18, 2010

Teppop Attack

Teppop Squadron Number One

Field Number 384
Leningrad Area
August 10th, 1946
11:46 hours
Submitted by Maior Chistyakov
Commander of Teppop Interceptor Squadron Number 1

Mission 1 report

Flights One, Two and Four of Teppop Squadron Number 1 took off from Leningrad at 6:45 hours in anticipation of the American bomber raid on Leningrad. They redevoused with the 234th and 175th Medium Bomber Squadrons flying Tu2s fitted with conventional rockets.

Each Teppop was equipped with 2 X4 Wire Guided Sky to Sky Missiles.

Radar contact was made with the enemy bomber force at 7:12 hours. The Trepops followed the Tu2s and acted like they were escorting the medium bombers. When visual contact was made with the bomber formation 10 km East of Hogland Island. The Tu2s and Trepops were 2000 meters below and flying to the West paralleling the bombers course.

The American escorts did not react to the presence of the Teppops or the Tu2s. As planned the squadrons of conventional fighters made up of Lagg 7s and Yak 9UTs were maneuvering into position for attack. This seemed to attract and keep the attention of the American forces in the area as a large portion of the enemy escorts maneuvered into position to defend their bombers from this threat.

The Ground to Sky missiles were launched from Hogland Island and as planned. The Trepops held their fire until the first volley of ground missiles entered the bomber stream. On command each Teppop launched one missile each from positions above and behind the TU2s.

The primary target for the first volley of Flight 1's X4 missiles where the atomic bomb laden Silverplate bombers. These were easily identified using the information provided by the NKVD. Flight 1 targeted the lead bomber and the trailing plane. four missiles each were launched at each bomber. Flight 4 targeted the near-by bombers.

The trailing Silverplate bomber was hit and exploded. The missiles fired at the lead bomber missed their target. One of the Ground based missiles happened to hit the lead bomber just as Squadron 1 Flight 1 of the Trepops launched their second missile volley on the remaining Silverplate. After it became apparent that the last Silverplate was destroyed the missiles were directed into the general bomber stream with several scoring a hit.

At the same time the Tu2s started to launch their diversionary attack. After the first volley 30 American P51 escorts dove on the formation of Tu2s. The Teppops who had fired both of their missiles pretended to act as escorts for the medium bombers. Their orders were to appear to be escorts but under no circumstances where they to put their planes in jeopardy and to disengage as soon as possible and return to base.

The remaining Teppops continued to fire aimed volleys of X4 missiles unmolested by the fighter escorts who were chasing the fleeing Tu2s. The remaining missiles targeted B29 lead bombers who where still flying in formation. Dozens of bombers where hit and panic insued within the bomber formations. It was almost impossible for the untrained eye to tell which missiles and rockets were directed and which were not.

Of the 136 missiles fired 31 hit their targets. This high rate of success was possible due to the fact that the Teppop pilots where highly trained and were virtually unmolested while they guided their missiles to their targets. This was further made possible by the diversions caused by the ground based missiles and the large volume of unguided rockets fired by the TU2s. Both of these diversions caused the Teppops to be ignored and left unmolested to carry out their primary mission.

The combination of the Teppop and the X4 missile was an unmitigated success as long as the Teppop pilot is allowed the time to guide the missile to the target unmolested. The utmost care must be exercised to keep the existence of these weapons and their requirements for success a total secret from the enemy.

No comments:

Post a Comment